[ale] SNARE?

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Thu Jan 2 11:54:01 EST 2003

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Doug McNash wrote:

>   Stephen Turner <artic_knight at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >i believe there was talk of this sort one before, talk of
> >creating a
> >counter attack app. however i believe legality eventually
> >smutherd it out,
> >

> What possible legal consequences could there be?  IF this
> kind of thing is illegal what kind of enforcement action
> could one expect.  I mean some hacker in Hamborg gets his
> machine trashed trying to break in to my home machine,
> what's he gonna do, call Interpol, the Duluth police?
> It's kinda like robbing drug dealers. (Yes I know the are
> using proxy machines and that complicates things a bit)

Think about the latest Windows worms (Nimda, Code Red, etc.). For some of
these, there are popular, easy-to-set up Apache configurations which power
off the remote host sending a worm-related request.

1. you configure your apache server to shutdown remote "attacking" code red
infected hosts
2. some poor slob of a Windows admin has a machine which the admin doesn't
even know is infected
3. that machine sends you code red traffic
4. your apache shuts it down

Who attacked who here? It's reasonable to argue that you attacked him -- he
was at least innocent of intent, unlike you

later,
chris