[ale] DSL switch from Directv

Greg runman at telocity.com
Thu Jan 2 11:34:01 EST 2003

I thought that the following is true (static IP included in all cases):

Speakeasy is
1.5 mps down and 128 kps up for $59.95/month (but no webspace and only 2
email accounts and NO DNS SERVERS)

Speedfactory is
1.5 mps down and 256 kps up for $49.95/month that will go to $65.00 after 1
yr

Earthlink is
1.5 mps down and 128 kps up for $64.95/month

also, here are some downsides that I noticed on each's site:

from SpeedFactory's Usage Policy:

Use of Account:

a) Sharing Speed Factory's Unlimited Accounts with anyone other than
immediate family member, or re-selling service without express written
consent from Speed Factory, or offering any public information service, such
as running a Web server or FTP server, is expressly prohibited.

c) Personal Web sites are subject to a maximum of 100 megabytes per month of
file transfer. Sites that receive hits in excess this amount will be subject
to higher commercial rates.

I think that Speedfactory's Support is only during daylight hours too.

Speakeasy also seems to have a myriad of fees, though they seem to be more
friendly to me hosting a home network.

Does anyone know anything about AT&T's dsl offerings ?

Does anyone have any experience with Earthlink and having a static IP ?  do
you know if they block any ports ?

The more I look at this the more I am convinced that Directv was indeed "the
deal of the century".  Damm I hate this.

Greg Canter