[ale] Multiple virt https hosts under Apache/mod_ssl

Jerry Swann mailbox1005 at io.oit.gatech.edu
Thu Jan 2 08:08:31 EST 2003

ed, Jan 01, 2003 at 12:01:51PM -0500

On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 12:01:51PM -0500, Chuck Huber wrote:
> The objective is to setup multiple virtual hosts, each with its own
> x503 certificate.
>
> The problem is that when more than one virtual host is configured,
> the first certificate in the configuration is served regardless of
> which virtual host is contacted.
>
> Here's a summary of what I have in a file included in httpd.conf:

>     NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.1:443
>
>     <VirtualHost 192.168.1.1:443>
>         ServerName          dev.mydomain.com
>     <VirtualHost 192.168.1.1:443>
>         ServerName          www.mydomain.com

Since ssl is negotiated before any data transfers from host to host,
by the time the 'Hostname:' setting gets transferred to the web host
the ssl negotiation is already done and gone.

SSL virtual hosts using the same ip address just don't work.  You have
to bind different ip addresses to different ssl certs.

                            Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Jerry Swann       "Jerry dot Swann at oit dot gatech dot edu"
Georgia Institute of Technology
Office Phone: 404 894-1659
Office Fax:   404 894-9548