[ale] RH8.0: first impressions

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 28 19:28:29 EST 2003

Got the ISOs, burnt them, blew Slack 8.1 off of my laptop and fired up the
Anaconda installer.

The good:

- Very simple install.
- Very nice looking screens all over the place.
- Detected and set up the video, display, mouse, and kbd correctly, first try.

The bad:

- Good lord, it's slow. I don't know how they did it, but they figured out
how to make Linux perform like Windows.
- It has no clue about the sound (which is 100% SB compatible).
- It has no clue about my PRISM2 802.11b card. I was using the wlan-ng
driver with it under Slack, but RH doesn't include wlan-ng, so it's
trying to use the wvlan_cs driver. I've made that work before, but
not with WEP, and RH doesn't know how to configure PCMCIA netcards
(or so it seems).

[OK, I just found the "Internet Connection Wizard", which seems to want
to let me set my WEP key and ESSID, but it still won't hook up with
my AP... grr. It keeps resetting the ESSID to "non-spec".]

All in all, I'm a bit disappointed so far. Maybe I need to give it
time.

Cheers,

-- Joe Knapka