[ale] more on attempted Java install....

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Fri Feb 28 12:16:49 EST 2003

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 06:49:24AM -0500, Courtney Thomas wrote:
> I neglected to mention that when I attempt to download/install Java from
> Netscape's website, the message I get is............
>
> "Access denied."

Sounds like you're running netscape as non-root.  Installing the Java
plugin requires root privileges.  I won't comment on the security
implications of running a web browser as root to install software from a
remote site, except to say, I won't do it.

Fortunately, the JRE comes bundled with the plugin for netscape/mozilla.
The README that comes with the JRE has instructions for installing the
plugins, but all you need to do is create a symlink in your plugins
directory.  Your plugins directory will vary by distro/installation
method, but it is probably in /usr/lib/netscape/plugins or
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.  To create the symlink, first install the JRE,
then, as root, change to the plugins directory and type:
  ln -s $JRE_HOME/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Replace $JRE_HOME with the directory where you installed the JRE.  Then
restart netscape/mozilla and type "about:plugins" in the URL bar to
verify that it was installed correctly.

HTH,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9