[ale] who is the fastest bash scripter?

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Wed Feb 26 13:00:51 EST 2003

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 12:11:10PM -0500, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> That's the exact solution several people came up with.  It was pointed out
> that jar is very slow and it is faster to use tar.

No, unzip.  Jar files use the PKZip file format.

The jar tool is actually written in java.  The jar executable is just a
wrapper executable that launches a JVM and runs whatever class does the
jar stuff.  Starting a JVM is extremely expensive, so using unzip
instead of jar is much faster, especially if it's done within a loop.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9