[ale] a request for list change

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Wed Feb 26 11:25:50 EST 2003

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 10:41 am, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> I know this has been discussed here before, but ...

Ad nauseum.

> It is incredibly irritating that the headers have been so rewritten on
> ALE mail that I can't reply offline to someone without extracting the
> original mail message, composing a new message and dropping the original
> message.

And yet, many of us prefer it that way.  We've discussed this before and
opinion was mixed.  I think we should let the administrator do what he
wants since there is no consensus.

> I have a big disagreement with the language logic that the mailing list
> app is using. The Sender is the original author. If I reply to sender,
> my em,ail should go to them, not the list. If I "reply to all" it should
> go to the list without a duplicate being sent to the sender, it should
> come through the list mail.

You could see if your mailer will ignore the Reply-to header.  That's what
is causing you problems.  Or setup a procmail filter to remove it.

To reply to someone you can probably click on their name in the message
window and select "Send to" or some such.  Certainly that works in kmail.

For a discussion mailing list I think reply to list is a much better
default than reply to sender.  For other types of lists I might agree with
you.

Michael