[ale] [OT] Installing RAM in a Compaq Armada 1700

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 26 09:11:55 EST 2003

Jonathan Glass <jonathan.glass at ibb.gatech.edu> writes:

> Under the keyboard.  Remove the battery and floppy, and find the screws with
> arrows pointing to them, and the center screw b/w the battery and floppy bays.
> Take them out, flip over the machine, remove the keyboard, and the RAM is right
> there.  I think (no research, working from memory) that those machines can
> handle either an additional 128 or 256.
>
> The HDD should be in the same place (on the right side of the chassis, the RAM
> is on the left).

Must be a slightly different model; on mine the HDD is dead center,
floppy on the far left, battery on the far right (yet the case
lettering says "ARMADA 1700", plain as day).  I tried your suggestion,
and it *almost* worked. However, the CD drive is immediately under the
kbd (also in the center, above the HDD), and it appears it needs to
come out before the kbd will lift out. It's not obvious how to get the
CD drive out.  I'm being very cautious because I really don't want to
damage this machine accidentally.

Anyway, I ordered an Armada 1700 service manual from Compaq :-)

Thanks,

-- Joe Knapka