[ale] Terabyte of data

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Wed Feb 26 07:28:50 EST 2003

I'm currently using a system that has 16 160G disks in a RAID5.  This
gives me a bit more than you want of course.  I'm using a 3Ware IDE Raid
card to provide connectivity but using Software RAID5.  Back when we
built this system the 3ware RAID5 implementation was a disaster for
performance, this may have changed however.

One note, with the 3ware card, the IDE drives are hot swapable if you
get a system with the right type of bays.

I can give you the name of our vendor though personally I'd recomend a
local vendor as ours is in canada and I'm having issues with him.   If
you go with someone local who has questions on design let me know, I'll
give exact specs on the system/chasis we're using.  The only thing I
recomend is a better system for locking down the drives as sometimes the
drives in our system will unseat themselves.....  Also, more fans, these
produce a good bit of heat.  Otherwise we have 8 of these providing ALOT
of disk space for our legato backup server and they're working very well
after a good bit of tuning.

Robert

Thus spake cfowler (cfowler at outpostsentinel.com):