[ale] nfs & collisions

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Feb 25 12:42:18 EST 2003

The absolute fastest way is to sneaker net with a hard drive.

You can use scp with encryption turned off over a crossover cable with
both ends set for full duplex. But that will take longer than plugging
in a hard drive and reattaching a case.

Seriously, a 20G data move is about what I dump daily from several
drives through my tape drive. Use an external scsi tape and tar from one
and untar to the other. My Ecrix does about 3MB/sec. Which is pretty
respectable.

On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 12:01, Robert E. Karaffa, II wrote:
> hi folks,
>     thanks for the replies...i guess I have to confess that I watch FOX news
> reports for the sheer comedic brilliance...
> if I wish to transfer ~20Gb of data between a Linux box and a Mac OS 10 box
> via nfs, what would be the fastest method?  perhaps a crossover cable
> between the two?  right now, they are chugging away at an astounding rate of
> about 1Mb/7 sec...egad, 16 hrs to go!
>

> -Bob K.
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

 This is a digitally signed message part