[ale] Lindows vs the semi-annual Windows suck-a-thon

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Mon Feb 24 18:36:46 EST 2003

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 05:15:46PM -0500, Greg wrote:
> On the GPL issue, well, I *think* that Lindows, Inc interprets the GPL to
> say that they have to provide the source code to USERS only, and in order to
> be a user you need to pay at least $49.00 for the OS.  Their EULA (!??!)
> says this also (note the  first sentence "source code" ???)

This is allowed by the GPL.  I don't know the correct paragraph off the
top of my head, but a quick search of the GPL FAQ should provide
answers.

On the other hand, while Lindows, Inc is well within their rights to
only supply source code to users who have bought the binary, there is
nothing to prevent a Lindows user from putting the source on a public
FTP server, or distributing it in any other way.  If their EULA claims
otherwise, then that would be a violation of the GPL.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9