[ale] nfs & collisions

hbbs at attbi.com hbbs at attbi.com
Mon Feb 24 14:06:21 EST 2003

Correct me if I'm wrong, someone, but in an Ethernet hub, I don't think there
is an *electrical* commonality between the ports the way there would be if you
were srtinging thickwire or thinwire.  This means that there has got to be some
meaningful delay between activity at one port and any other in a hub.  Put two
hubs together and Hub B can't even begin to react to traffic on a port on Hub A
until the port on Hub A to which Hub B is connected reacts to traffic elsewhere
on Hub A.  Ordinarily this latency is not a big deal, but if you are trying to
push big stuff around, then it is, and I get the feeling that the time spent
detecting and resolving collisions goes up too, because it takes longer for the
collision *and* its resolution to propagate.

Remember, an Ethernet collision is basically an "excuse me; try again."  The
overall effect of adding latency to that process is not unlike watching Bill
O'Reilly argue with someone via satellite.

- Jeff