[ale] Re:Can't boot after compiling Kernel

Marvin Dickens mpdickens at tlanta.com
Sat Feb 22 14:18:54 EST 2003

On Saturday 22 February 2003 04:21 pm, Geoffrey wrote:

> make mrproper
> make xconfig
> make dep
> make bzImage
> make install (if you're using lilo)
> make modules
> make modules_install
>
> Did you forget to make/install your modules???  Did you make your
> bzImage????

Running the command "make install" prior to test booting the kernel off of a
floppy diskette can be  dangerous. The way I do it is as follows:

make mrproper
make xconfig
make bzImage
make bzdisk
make modules
make modules_install

Then I boot from the floppy boot image I made with the command "make bzdisk".
If the floppy disk works and the machine boots and behaves properly, I then
run the command "make install".

By doing it this way, if you hork the compile, you still have the old kernel
image installed and can boot from it without any resorting to emergency
de-horking and try again.

Best

Marvin