[ale] Business Week - The Linux Uprising

Chuck Huber chuck at cehuber.org
Fri Feb 21 20:14:51 EST 2003

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 05:14:22PM -0500, John Wells wrote:
> Joe said:
> > From which:
> >
> > "What could derail Linux? The biggest risks are intellectual-property
> > issues. SCO Group, holder of the original patents for Unix software upon
> > which Linux is based, has announced plans to form a licensing division
> > and hire superlawyer David Boies to press its claims against sellers of
> > Linux."
> >
> > Since Linux contains no AT&T code, is this really likely to go
> > anywhere? Or are they talking about algorithm patents, rather
> > than actual implementation?
>
> You know, if SCO has a legitimate case against Linux, and further, if I
> were  the owner of a certain Redmond, WA based company, I'd consider SCO
> as a pretty important acquisition.  If the claims are legitimate and the
> patents enforceable, this could be used to derail Linux in the short-term.
>
> John

There's the issue of OpenBSD, too.  While OpenBSD is actually based on
Unix, Linux is not.  Linux was independently developed and is POSIX compliant.

Additionally, the fact that Linux originated outside the US and was developed
under an international effort (Aus, Jap, UK, US, etc), the final
judgement would probably wind up in front of a world court.  It's use is so
widespread, it'd be hard to really go after them.

As far as acquiring the SCO group, the SEC would probably have some input
on that issue.

Enjoy,
    - Chuck

--
"The purpose of encryption is to protect good people
from bad people, not to protect bad people from the government."

 PGP signature