[ale] Inexpensive broadband recommendations

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Wed Feb 19 19:28:38 EST 2003

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 10:49:35AM -0500, Jason Day wrote:

> Do you have a business account?  Or do you know the right people? ;-)

> Comcast/AT&T's TOS specifically prohibits using linux.  They also

	That is just flat out false.

	They don't SUPPORT Linux but they don't prohibit it.  When I
got my service, the tech looked at my RACK of equipment and I pointed
to the upper left unit and said "you'll be attaching to that".  He
said "What's it run, Linux?"  When I said yes, he said "I don't think
we support Linux."  My response was "Good.  You just supply me with the
network, I support Linux."  Then I told him "just call these numbers
(the MAC addresses) in."  He did and I typed "ifup eth0" and a second
later PING!  We were up and he was impressed.  Repeat same processes
two months later with my son Scott.  When he was having routing problems,
they were very clear that he was running Linux and he was reporting a
problem he could pin-point in their network via traceroute.  The AT&T
NOC call HIM back at the office.  When he reported where the routing
loop was, they remarked "opps, we missed that one, thanks!"  He still
has the number for their NOC buried somewhere.  I went through a similar
process last week when we couldn't reach Slashdot and a couple of
other sites.  I made it clear to the front line support person that
I was reporting a routing problem and what the traceroute info was.
It was pretty damn clear, I wasn't talking Windows.

> prohibit running a server, such as ssh, telnet, ftp, or http.  They also
> block port 80 inbound, so if you want to be a rebel and run a web

	Also false.  At least on this segment.  Maybe true on others.

	They do block 139 (but not 445, unfortunately) but those are
defensive just to keep a hammer on the worms.

> server, you have to do it on a non-standard port.

	Some segments have reported this, yes.  I have, as yet, not
experienced it and I've had no problems with other low ports or any
VPNs.  I've successfully run CIPE, OpenVPN, SSH, stunnel, IPSec and
IPv6 SIT without trouble.