[ale] 98, linux, and my dial up (was backup setup)

L. Wayne James wjames at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 19 14:01:56 EST 2003

For all the reasons we all use Linux, you want your Linux box to be the hub of
your network.

I have tried to have PPP dial-out on demand with some success.  Connecting to
an ISP will be easier than dialing out to an NT RAS server.  (Somehow, I
could never get my user id and password accepted, though this has been about
2 years ago....)

Part of your problem will be to dial to two different destinations
(automagically), should you require that.

Keep us posted on your struggles/progress.  Many of us read this list to keep
from having to struggle through the same thing so other poor guy has already
done.  :->

Be sure to check your distro's docs.  Some of what you need may already be
available (e.g.  Many distros ship with PPP ready to set up for dialing into
your ISP.)

Wayne