[ale] backup setup

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Feb 19 10:57:32 EST 2003

Preston Boyington wrote:

> Thanks.  I am still getting my footing on the network management side
> of this.  Have used linux as a desktop for a while, just didn't need
> to get "in depth" with anything until this point.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

You mentioned 'My Documents' folder, is this on a Linux box or a Windows
box?

Are you familiar with nfs at all?  If you're dealing with a windows box,
then you'll need samba on the linux box in order to mount the 'my
documents' folder on the linux box.

For example, say you nfs (or samba if it's windows) mount the file
system in question on the cdburner at /archive directory.

Then you create the tar file of the goods there as follows:

tar -czf /home/user/burn/burnthis.tgz /archive

Then you need to create an iso of the tar file:

mkisof -T -l -r -o burnthis.iso /home/user/burn

Depending on the size of the backup, you might be able to skip the
tar/compression and create an iso directly from the archive directory.

You burn this with:

cdrecord -v speed=2 dev=0,1,0  burnthis.iso

your speed= and dev= may well vary depending on your media and where
your cdwriter is on your bus.  Locate the dev= value with

cdrecord --scanbus

The speed value must be <= both the drive max speed and the media max speed.

You stick all those commands into a shell script and then call it from cron.

Let me know if you're still with me okay? :)

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...