[ale] boot parms ide=???

Cory T. Echols ctechols at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 19 09:42:27 EST 2003

On 02/19, Geoffrey wrote:
> Interesting, I've not seen this.  I guess the kernel has not kept up
> with the latest technology, since the highest available value is 66, as
> noted above.
>
> Thanks.

We may be talking about two different things here, but it is my
understanding that the clock speed specified by the "idebus" parameter
is not the same as the frequency that is being referred to on ide drive
controllers.  In other words, setting "idebus=100" is not required when
using a 100Mhz drive controller.  I've read the idebus parameter has
something to do with PIO modes, and that PIO modes aren't used if you're
running a 100Mhz drive controller properly.

I know for a fact that some Promise brand ide controllers, and the
100Mhz controllers on some ASUS boards are fully supported in 2.4
kernels.  How you configure that support, I'm not sure.  I don't own any
100Mhz controllers.

--
Cory T. Echols          | "That government is not best which best secures
ctechols at mindspring.com | mere life and property -- there is a more valuable