[ale] boot parms ide=???

Dow Hurst dhurst at kennesaw.edu
Tue Feb 18 23:04:58 EST 2003

Geof,
I thought for fast controllers and drives that the hdparm configured the modes so once you configured the fastest mode you would be at 100/133.  Am I wrong?
Dow

>>> esoteric at 3times25.net 02/18/03 22:45 PM >>>
I've been trying to research the various boot parameters available.
Particularily regarding ide parms.  I find references to a doc
README.ide in the kernel source, but I've got two sets of source,
neither has the file.  I finally tracked one down, but no reference to
the ide parms I'm looking for.

In particular, I had a box that had an ata66 controller and passing
ide=66 was recognized.

Following that process I have another box with an ata100 controller, but
when attempting ide=100, I receive an error that this is invalid.  Valid
values are 20-66.

I've seen references to ide=100 in searches, so I assumed this was valid.

These are 2.4.19 kernels, pretty current.

Anyone care to shed some light on this??

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...