[ale] Inexpensive broadband recommendations

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Feb 18 13:22:18 EST 2003

John Wells wrote:
> Geoffrey said:
>
>>John Wells wrote:
>>
>>>It was an FYI, not an IMO.  I use it because it works, and I don't
>>>want to pay $150 plus and extra $15 a month to speedfactory to get the
>>>same level of service.
>>
>>I hadn't checked speedfactory prices lately, so I gave them a call,
>>here's what they quoted me:
>>
>>$49/month free internal dsl modem, single computer.
>>$59/month static ip, multiple computers, external modem ($149.95)
>

> The $49/month offer has common ports blocked, so no servers.

No, they don't block any ports.  They do monitor certain ports and if
you have a lot of data transfer, they'll have a problem with it.  I've
discussed this with them in the past.  For example, they were perfectly
happy with my serving my wife's classroom website from my home machine
in that scenario.

> You have to
> upgrade to the $59 per month (when I check it was $65, but I guess they've
> dropped).  In order to use the $59/month, you have to buy their bridge
> equipment, which will cost you $150.

You only have to upgrade to the $59 package if you want static ip.  You
can use the same free hardware that comes with the $49 package to do
multiple computers, they just don't advertise it.

> Sure, if you opt for their home networking package (which is a rip-off,
> imo) that involves using HomePNA over your phone lines.  If you don't want
> that, there's nothing to stop you from running your own router/firewall,
> as I do, and distributing that via your own medium to other machines.  I
> have approx. 4 full-time 24/7 machines served via my $45/month dsl
> connection using a switch and a linux-based 120mhz/16mb ram fw/r..

There's nothing to stop you from doing the same with speedfactory, and
they will permit it, whereas, Bellsouth tells you you're not in
compliance with the TOS if you do so.

>>They give you a free modem (after rebate) for the single computer
>>solution and it is refurbished. If you go with the multiple computer
>>solution, they also will charge you $149.95 for the hardware.  So, there
>> deal doesn't seem that much better then speedfactory.
>

> If you know enough to setup your own network, then there's no way you
> should opt for the multiple computer solution as you can setup whatever
> works for you (cat-5 ethernet, etc.).  It adds nothing to your service
> plan...just the ability to call in and get support for their portal system
> (if you have HomePNA hardware, you should be able to use it without paying
> the extra $10 bucks).   I've setup a few of those for colleagues, and BS
> uses a 2-wire (2wire.com) portal solution that really kinda sux.  You
> don't have control over what ports you can open up...that kinda stuff
> irritates me to know end.

Right, but they also tell you it's against the TOS to run more then one
computer on their standard package.  So their expectation is you get the
additional hardware and pay the extra bucks.  The only difference is,
it's not against speedfactories TOS to do so, whereas it is with Bellsouth.

>>Not having to deal with Bellsouth and pppoe is worth the extra $5 a
>>month to me.
>

> If it weren't for the hardware requirement, I would go ahead and pay the
> extra $15.  As it is, I can't really justify an extra $150 to fix
> something that isn't broken.

I called speedfactory regarding this.  You can use the internal free
hardware the provide if you don't want a static ip.  Further, you don't
have to buy the hardware from speedfactory, you can get it anywhere you
want.

> I look at it from a practical perspective ;-).

Amen, I'm with you on that.

Speedfactory is really flexible.  I've got a modem setup that lets my
mother-in-law dial in for internet connectivity.  I promise you, very
few ISP's will let you do that.  I explained my plans up front to
speedfactory and they were okay with it.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...