[ale] USB pluging causes instant reset

Dow Hurst dhurst at kennesaw.edu
Mon Feb 17 22:56:07 EST 2003

James,
For our future sanity, what is the mobo/case combo specifically?  Thanks,
Dow

>>> jkinney at localnetsolutions.com 02/17/03 22:32 PM >>>
This is the third case I've seen this on. A front mounted USB socket
seemed like a good idea. But under windows and Linux, plugging in any
usb device into the front socket while running will cause the box to
reset. I built 3 of these now (same mobo/case combo) and they all crap
out. The USB ports on the back are OK. Argh! USB keyboard on a
firewall/gateway machine means no client access (a very good thing in
many instances)

I pulled out the socket and the ground lines are all OK. The metal cover
is grounded as it should be. Stumped. Tired. In search of beer in
fridge.
http://www.localnetsolutions.com