[ale] Inexpensive broadband recommendations

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Feb 17 17:29:18 EST 2003

Douglas Bridges wrote:
> I am moving back to the Sandy Springs area and I was wondering if people had
> recommendations for (relatively) inexpensive broadband connections.

You'll probably get a lot of recommendations for Bellsouth, but I'd stay
away from the local monopoly.  The do pppoe, they are not Linux friendly
and they are not willing to work with you on different setups.  I've
been very pleased with Speedfactory and I've been with them for over a
year now.

> I would
> also like a good provider for TV services.

Not too many choices there.  Comcast, Bellsouth digital, the various
satellite providers.  Although I suggested you stay away from BS for
internet connectivity, I was very pleased with their digital tv, the
short time I had it.

> I am currently using Road Runner
> cable service + TW digital cable in New York City, and that has been fine.
> When I used to live in Atlanta, I had DirecTV for my TV service, and that
> worked great as well.  I do live close enough to a Central Office for ADSL.
>
> I think that I could get my cable service through AT&T, but their service
> seems quite expensive.

It's no longer AT&T, it's now Comcast, but I don't think the prices are
any better.

I could get DirecTV for my television and DSL for
> broadband, but I don't know what DSL services work well in Atlanta, and who
> is Linux friendly.  I don't really care about having a static address, just
> good transfer rates and high reliability.

Bellsouth is certainly not Linux friendly.  Speedfactory is, although
their experiences are limited based on who you talk to there.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...