[ale] that same darn NFS problem SOLVED

Calvin Harrigan charrig at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 17 14:54:19 EST 2003

At 02:38 PM 2/17/2003 -0500, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
>On Monday 17 February 2003 02:30 pm, Chris Ricker wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > > With a 2.4.x kernel and RAM <=4G swap=2xRAM
> >
> > That's not necessary. There was a bug in early 2.4.x that required
> > swap=2xRAM for decent performance, but that's long since been fixed...
> >
> > You need enough swap to hold your working set. That could be anything
> > from no swap to gigabytes, depending on what you do on that system....

<snip>

The 2xRam argument is understandable, but questionable/confusing (at least
in my opinion).  I have 128Megs Ram, a 256MB swap, fine.  I'm swapping too
much, I add another 256Megs of Ram, according to the argument I should now
increase my swap to 768MB (384MB ram total).  Why?
Isn't the whole point of adding more memory to get away from swapping?
Just a question I've asked several times without a good answer.

Calvin...