[ale] that same darn NFS problem SOLVED

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Feb 17 14:38:47 EST 2003

On Monday 17 February 2003 02:30 pm, Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > With a 2.4.x kernel and RAM <=4G swap=2xRAM
>
> That's not necessary. There was a bug in early 2.4.x that required
> swap=2xRAM for decent performance, but that's long since been fixed...
>
> You need enough swap to hold your working set. That could be anything
> from no swap to gigabytes, depending on what you do on that system....

Right, but the rational I heard is

1.  Having swap doesn't hurt
2.  Unless you have so many processes and so much swap space that you get
swap bound
3. swap = 2 x RAM is a reasonable heuristic.  If you use much more than
that you are probably swap bound, but up to that amount could really
happen without getting swap bound.

Obviously one can create loads that would be usable with more than that
much swap in use.  One could also create loads that are unusable with less
than that much in use.  It is just a rough guess that often works okay,
and few of us have the time or ability to really do an analysis of our
swap needs.

Michael