[ale] Dual NICs

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Sun Feb 16 11:14:29 EST 2003

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:

> I want some of that.
> I have a software program that helps me do research on the Internet. It
> bottlenecks 1 nic card, but not my internet connection. The program currently
> takes days to run which leaves it vulnerable to lost electricity or other
> crashes. Currently, if I run the program from 2 boxes (on the same LAN), it
> runs the data twice as fast.
> Will I get "twice" the bandwidth using a bonding driver and 2 nics?

Doubtful. You're almost certainly bottlenecked upstream.

More likely -- you're saturating your CPU

> Since reading this email, I added another nic to my server. It installed OK,
> via Kudzu, and it has an ip and can be pinged.
> I ran ifconfig, and got everything except the "bonding driver"
> From what I have googled, I have to recompile the kernel?

You shouldn't have to -- RH ships with it enabled

> I created ifcfg-bond0 file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory that
> looks like this:
>
> DEVICE=bond0
> IPADDR=192.168.123.122
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=192.168.123.0
> BROADCAST=192.168.231.255
> ONBOOT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=none
> USERCTL=no

okay

> Then when I ran ifconfig,  I got everything to look just like below, except
> eth1 has a different IP address than bond0 and eth0.

You need to fix /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth{0,1}
They should read

DEVICE=eth0 # or eth1, as appropriate
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes

> How do I test it?

send traffic upstream and measure throughput

pull one of the two cables and make sure you're still transmitting and
receiving

later,
chris