[ale] null.null.host oddity

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Sat Feb 15 21:16:56 EST 2003

Geoffrey said:
> Okay, so you did a dig against host1-null.null.bellsouth.net to get
> 172.16.2.1??

No, I did a dig -x 172.16.2.1 to get host1-null.null.bellsouth.net,
because a number of these entries were showing up in the output from
commands that use the resolver.  I eventually through testing determined
that it would return hostN where N was the last number in 172.16.2.x.

> Could it be that the speedfactory DNS is down the tree
> from the BS dns?  In other words, the BS DNS sits between the
> speedfactory dns and the root servers?

Not sure.  I'm really not positive how DNS handles private address space
when the address being looked up is not in the local dns server or host
files.  I think it may be server specific,  as I can get different answers
from different networks.  I do know that ns.asm.bellsouth.net is not a
public dns server, and you should only be able to hit it on a BS
network...

John