[ale] null.null.host oddity

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Feb 15 16:15:39 EST 2003

John Wells wrote:
> I can tell you why you're probably seeing it.  I can't tell you the reason
> the entries are there.
>
> First, speedfactory leases bandwidth from BS, iirc.  I see the same
> behavior as you on my private network, and I do use BellSouth.
>
> These hostN-null.null.bellsouth.net host names are being returned from
> your dns servers.  Since speedfactory uses BellSouth bandwidth, I wonder
> if they also pay for the right to use BellSouth's DNS?  I assume this
> would have to be (or they use BellSouth's servers for their default
> forwards), because BS dns servers block queries from non-bs addresses.

I think you misunderstood my post.  I don't see these on my Speedfactory
network.  I saw them on someone else's network when I was helping them
set up a Linux box.

Speedfactory has their own dns.  I wouldn't use an ISP that relied on
Bellsouth DNS. :)

> Here's my resolv.conf settings...check yours and see:
> nameserver 205.152.37.254
> nameserver 205.152.0.5

No, 66.20234.14 resolves to ns.speedfactory.net

> Anyway, the N in the hostname changes according to the last digit on my
> private net ip.  In other words, if I dig -x 172.16.2.1, I'll get a reply
> from BellSouth's server of host1-null.null.bellsouth.net.  If I do the
> same for 172.16.2.24, I'll get host24-null.null.bellsouth.net.
>
> For whatever reason, BellSouth has set up these dummy entries for private
> net address space.  Or, they have it set up to just do a modified dummy
> reply for lookups on the private address space. Have no idea why, but
> perhaps someone else on the list could add an explanation.

Whatever their purpose, the one we saw must have been a windows box, or
something running Samba, which I doubt, otherwise it would not have
shown up in our efforts.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...