[ale] network problems?

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Fri Feb 14 15:35:56 EST 2003

Michael H. Warfield said:
> 	I hope your not absolutely serious there...
>
> 	Blocking all UDP - DNS?  NTP?

Yup, afaik.  Certain UDP is allowed through, but only to specific hosts,
such as our internal DNS server...all udp from or to workstations is
dropped at the fw.

> Blocking all ICMP - PMTU discovery fails, tcp connections fall
> down go boom or crawl at a snails pace (Needs ICMP WOULD FRAGMENT to
> work).

Perhaps I was a bit rash in my statments (wouldn't be the first time), but
I know many tools that rely on ICMP (like ping, traceroute) fail for
anything outside the fw.  I guess they're only blocking certain types of
ICMP messages?

John