[ale] [OT][Fwd: Arthur C. Clark on the Shuttle disaster]

cfowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Feb 14 12:03:54 EST 2003

What is amazing about the learning to fly was the numbers of people that
died just getting the Airmail program off the ground.  It was
staggering.

Many pilots flew drunk to say awake and keep on the navigation beacons.
When they fell asleep or had problems, it was almost a given that they
were killed.  At one time the Military tried to take over the Airmail
routes and lost many pilots.  They then turned those routes back to
private companies.  Those same private companies were losing money and
needed to make more, so they started carrying passengers.

Then airplane manufacturers started designing planes that could carry
many passengers and mail.  Thus, today we have the commercial carriers
as a result.  Probably all because the US Mail started the Airmail
service.

The bottom line is that many people died so we can enjoy flight today.
Many people will die so we can enjoy space tomorrow.  Its just a fact
progress.  I think America has lost some of its pioneering spirit.  We
have to accept the fact that exploration comes with the price of life
and money.