[ale] KVM or alternative

Synco Gibraldter synco at xodarap.net
Fri Feb 14 11:22:57 EST 2003

actually, 2-port kvm switches were a *lot* cheaper than switches with 4
ports and they seem to get exponentially more expensive... try to price a nice
10-port one.  i don't really understand why they're so expensive... i
could probably make one from radio shack parts for about $30, but it would
be ass ugly.

i have the same problem... keep getting new machines, but i've found the
best way (for me anyway) is to just boot them from the network and load
the root fs from NFS... then i can ssh/rsh to any of the machines on my
lan easily... that also gives you some flexibility as far as what you'll
be using the machines for.

for instance, to run your distributed processing cluster, you could load a
certain NFS root, but if you wanted your machines to do their normal
everyday jobs, they could load their own individual or group-based NFS
root.  of course this can all be done from a single machine.  kvm switches
don't give you that kind of flexibility.

just a kvm-switch alternative for those of you as broke as me.