[ale] problems getting to some sites??

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Thu Feb 13 23:14:44 EST 2003

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 10:33:19PM -0500, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> Funny you should mention that; I haven't been able to get to /. today.

	Seems to be a localized routing problem.  I can get to it from
my address space (130.205.0.0/16) through straight routing but if I
policy route out through my cable modem I get "no route to host".
Seems that /., freshmet, newsforge, and sourceforge are all affected.
They're all on the same /24.

	Since I only policy route port 80 through the broadband, I compared
port 25 and port 443.  443 connects fine (straight routing from 130.205.0.10)
while 80 bombs (routed from 24.98.162.183).  I check through my brother's
connection up in Michigan (we're VPN'ed together) shows that 24.247.245.84
can get there fine so it's not the entire 24/8 at fault.

	My guess...  Someone's peering is currently BROKEN and the routing
is partitioned at the core.

	Someone please start posting a source list of what's working and
what's not so we can figure out what chumps to beat up!  You have my
numbers...