[ale] kimset

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Wed Feb 12 23:30:14 EST 2003

On 12 Feb 2003, Mike Panetta wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 19:13, Jonathan Rickman wrote:
>
> > You're on shaky ground, and in my not so humble opinion, deserve whatever
> > you get. Detecting networks is one thing, perfectly acceptable. Accessing
> > them when they're wide open and inviting you in is a grey area. Blatantly
> > circumventing access controls, however weak and useless, is a
> > crime...period.
>
> So you agree with the DMCA then?  This is a DMCA issue, it says
> circumvention (for any reason) is illegal.  I know this is sort of off
> topic, but the statement you made has DMCA written all over it.  This is
> exactly why the DMCA was written, to allow people to have weak security
> and make it possible for them to keep weak security by persecuting
> anyone that tries to break it (for any reason).  I believe what he did
> is acceptable, assuming he did not do it for any malicious reason.
> Please do not add any fuel to the DMCA fire by making statements like
> this.

I expected this to come up, but refrained from clarifying for the sake of
letting the issue drop. Allow me to clarify. Blatently circumventing
access controls designed to keep you out of someone else's stuff is a
crime. I dont know how much more clear I can be about it. Are you
suggesting that I should be allowed to crack your systems as long as my
intentions are good? What if I inadvertantly damage one of your mission
critical systems? Is that ok, because I was just "seeking knowledge"?
Those days are over guys. Back in the day (long before I hit the scene)
that may have been ok. We live in a different world now. Deal with it.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security