[ale] - [semi-OT] - Laptops in the metro

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Wed Feb 12 17:24:31 EST 2003

Jason,
> Hi folks,

> I recently started doing contract work, and I determined that it
> is time for me to purchase a laptop.  I wanted to see where you folks
> would recommend looking in the metro area.  I currently live in Gwinnett
> County and work at Cobb Galleria, so those two areas would be preferred
> for shopping if possible.

Last month I did extensive research for a good Linux-only laptop to
replace my now-flaky 7+ year old Toshiba.  All statements are my opinion.

FIRST, check http://www.mobilix.org and http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/
for Linux compatibility, especially regarding Suspend (save memory to
disk and power down) and modem (e.g., WinBloz modems).  Some models
insist on saving memory to a file of a particular name on a Winbloz-format
file system that must be the first partition.  (You can create such a
partition from scratch just large enough to hold the file.)

Consider money (if you're paying) vs. capability.  *I* did not find
a reason to buy a higher end model; they generally are just lighter,
slimmer, and a bit better ergonomically.  How much graphics do you really
do, unless you're a 3-D animator?

Refurbished/used laptops are not price competitive with new ones, IMO,
unless you can make a deal with your company/client.  I found the cost
of refurbs to be about 2/3 (67%) of the cost for new ones BUT they have
30-50% slower processors, half the disk, and someone has been banging
them around for 3+ years.  Don't bother with 'em.

My Toshiba had crashed about twice in the five years of almost continuous
operation and 40,000 air miles prior to my September Hartsfield Security
experience.  (I did not see them abuse it and it was ancient.)  Thus Toshiba
was a strong contender for me.

IBM has a good reputation and most models seem well-supported.

I hear that HP is junk; Compaq seems to break but has good warranty service.

I went with an IBM ThinkPad R31.  Right now, IBM's web site has a great deal
on them: $850+tax&ship for a 1.2GHz Celeron, 20G mem, CD reader in bay, NIC,
WinBloz modem, and stick pointer.  (If you do lots of pointing, the stick
pointer is horrible and there is not a jack for an external mouse unless
you buy a docking station.)  I added another 256M mem and a floppy bay for
about $70 each, to total at about $1080, including tax&ship; 10 day delivery.
Battery life is about 3 hours; replacements are roughly $110.

It's an *incredibly* fast machine, CPU, graphics, and CD.  With the
384MB of mem, it hardly uses the disk.  A full Slackware 8.1 install
was painless and took 10-20 minutes.  (I've not yet had time to worry
about Suspend, sound, or modem but they should be no problem.)

The runner up for me was a Toshiba.  Some of IBM's higher end laptops
officially support Linux and can be shipped with it.

Seriously consider installing an encrypted file system, such as PPDD,
to protect your confidential data in case of theft and be very careful
around airport checkpoints.  Buy a locking cable for about $30.  Keep
backups in a separate location.

> TIA,
> Jason

Bob Toxen