[ale] Linux on an Apple iBook

Robert E. Karaffa, II rkaraff at emory.edu
Wed Feb 12 16:46:07 EST 2003

Hi Jason,
    I use a TiBook at work.  I've never tried PPC Linux of any variation,
since there wasn't any great need for me to do so.  My Mandrake boxes at
home and work have given me great service on the cheap and are rock-solid in
terms of reliability.  It will be interesting to hear your impressions of OS
X.  My TiBook doesn't crash (unless I do something it doesn't like, which is
rare, but it HAS happened and I had to warm-boot).  I'm very much enamored
with OS X, and the Linux education I've received has helped tremendously in
regards to understanding some of the workings of Darwin.  I've managed to
use nfs successfully on the TiBook, make it talk to my Linux box (using
nfs...AppleShareIP didn't work at the time, although I understand that a
newer version of Netatalk has been released which fixes those issues), set
up an nfs account on the TiBook, and then go a bit left-of-center and
install OS X on an old PowerMac 7300/200 I had gathering dust at home.  I'll
eventually put a G3 accelerator in that thing and load Jaguar and set it up
to server mp3s and do a couple of other tricks I want done.  Let us know
what you think of the Linux vs Mac OS X scene.

-Bob K.

on 2/12/03 4:27 PM, Jason Vinson at jason.vinson at mindspring.com wrote:

> I have to attend an event at my church tomorrow evening, so I will be missing
> the ale meeting.  Hopefully i could see your (Jordi) setup at the next
> meeting.  I actually decided to go with the powerbook:
>
> Titanium PowerBook G4 667MHz Combo (DVD/CD-RW) System Only
> 667MHz PowerPC G4, 512MB SDRAM, 30GB Ultra ATA Drive, Slot Load
> Combo(DVD/CD-RW), 56K Modem, 15.2 Mega Wide Screen, Gigabit EtherneT, 2 USB, 1
> FireWire, Mac OS X (Airport Included)
>
> Sorry... i had to gloat  ;)
> Jason

Robert E. Karaffa, II