[ale] How much wattage in my server?

Doug McNash dmcnash at smyrnacable.net
Wed Feb 12 16:20:46 EST 2003

The initial spin up of the drives will cost you ~25W,
x16 = 400 watts unless you can stagger the spin up like
you can do with SCSI.  With that number of drives you may
need to calculate the number of 5V and 12V watts you need.
 Once spinning you need only about half (~12W) to do a
seek. I would WASG the MB/CPUs = 2 x 100W, 5W/card x 4 and
20W for the video, thats 240W more plus a 20% safety
factor puts you at 786W.

So we will say you need 800W.

--
Doug McNash