[ale] kimset

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 11 20:28:13 EST 2003

Jonathan Rickman <jonathan at xcorps.net> writes:

> On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Christopher Bergeron wrote:
>
> Be advised...
>
> > Using kismet you should be able to find the SSID of it.  Pop that SSID
> > into your config and try and run dhcpcd or pump.  If you get an
> > IP/GW/etc you should be on the network.  If you don't, it's probably
>
> Once you move past this point....
>
> > encrypted.  Luckily, kismet can crack WEP in a few minutes (just under
> > about 1000 packets needed).  Kismet + GPSdrive + WiFi antenna +
> > pda/dashpc/notebook = lots of fun.
> >

> You're on shaky ground, and in my not so humble opinion, deserve whatever
> you get. Detecting networks is one thing, perfectly acceptable. Accessing
> them when they're wide open and inviting you in is a grey area. Blatantly
> circumventing access controls, however weak and useless, is a
> crime...period.

100% agreed.

I find it rather astonishing that there seems to be a large community
of folks who find this kind of thing perfectly acceptable. Many of
those people are no doubt outraged when they find hackers poking at
their firewalls - and then they go out and break into someone else's
wireless network???

-- Joe Knapka