[ale] DUAL-HEAD WORKS!! and more on SuSE 8.1

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Feb 10 15:37:28 EST 2003

So, for the past couple of days, Iv'e been upgrading my box from
Mandrake to SuSE 8.1  SuSE squirted a few problem out, but all in all,
it was quite uneventful.

The wonderful thing about is, I've got my dual head set up working now.
  This is truly wierd though, because all I did was take the dual head
config file I had been hacking at on my Mandrake install and put it in
place.  Restart the X server and I'm good.  I can't believe the hours I
spent trying to get this thing to work on Mandrake.  I still like
Mandrake, but one of the main reasons I considered going to SuSE, was
because I'd traded emails with a guy who got the dual head going on SuSE
and he had the same video card.

SuSE doesn't see to video cards, so you can't use YAST2 to configure it.

This is too cool though.  I've got a 20" as my 'left' monitor and a 15"
as my right.

As for my SuSE problems, I really only had one issue.  Although it
picked up my scanner on install, I couldn't get the thing to respond.
Once I started checking out the sane config files I noted that YAST had
set up my scanner as scsi, when it is usb.  Changing file fixed this one
and only problem I had.

By the way, I now others had problems with doing a SuSE 8.1 install when
trying to create some custom partitions.  I did not have this same
problem, so I'm wondering if SuSE professional might be doing something
a bit different then SuSE personal.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...