[ale] BlueCurve cure?

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 8 13:32:12 EST 2003

On Saturday 08 February 2003 01:16 pm, Alexander Barton wrote:
> So, I finally upgraded from RedHat 7.3 to 8.0.  I absolutely cannot
> stand the new dumb-downed BlueCurve desktop.  I have a looong rant about
> everything that's wrong and unfixable with BlueCurve, but I'll spare you.
>
> I want my old GNOME desktop back like it was in 7.3.  RedHat's
> documentation mentions setting the desktop in /etc/sysconfig/desktop,
> but it looks as if BlueCurve *is* the GNOME desktop in 8.0.  Is there an
> easy way to go back?  Perhaps some theme or configuration file
> somewhere?  Help!

I'm assuming you want the Gnome desktop without the BlueCurve "enhancements"?
I had the samne issue with the things they did to KDE. I tried to undo what
RedHat had done to KDE and found it nearly impossible. So, I downloaded KDE
source and installed that. That got rid of the RedHat mangles that bothered
me. You might have to do the same thing with Gnome if you don't like what
RedHat did to that desktop.