[ale] Distro silliness

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Sat Feb 8 10:51:04 EST 2003

What all this opining about distros comes down to is this:

All the big distros out there are more or less stable.  All are good in
their own ways.  All have their drawbacks.

I suspect people who complain about Red Hat being unstable or hard to
maintain are just facing a knowledge gap...it's not the fault of Red Hat
that you don't understand how to do a certain thing, or fix a certain
problem.  We all get roped into our own frames of reference by past
experience, and going outside that frame is not always easy or fun, or
possible, without outside help or tons of patience.

I'm sure Rickman could run circles around me on Slack, and problems that I
would deem unsolvable would probably be easy to him.  Same for Geoffrey on
Mandrake or Suse, Thomas on Debian.

The point is, of course there are bugs in Linux distros.  The developers
and maintainers aren't gods, after all.  But, more often than not, I'll
bet my car that the supposed "bug" is actually just a lack of knowledge on
the part of the user/installer.

John