[ale] OT - rant on computer cases

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Feb 7 13:19:42 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 13:10, Sims, Ted wrote:
> What's the with the stupid practice of putting doors on the front of the case so you can't get to your burner, etc.?

Keeps the dust out.

> Why can't I get a grown-up looking case with a side case fan? Why are fan holes punched so small they restrict air flow?

Bad engineering

> Why are they pushing cases made out of aluminum, that are flimsy, noisy, and dent at the slightest impact?

Supposedly, aluminum cases dissipate the heat better. I've seen NO test
data that demonstrates that.

> Why do high-end cases have drive rails, when screws hold the drive more securely, with less vibration and noise?

What else will justify the cost of the high-end case? Some of the drive
rail setups are nice. The screw work happens on an easy bench instead of
inside a cramped case.

> Why do they include fans that are so poor I throw them away often and get better ones?

Cheap Ba$$$, er, cost savings.

> What's with the neon, clear side windows, and hot rod colors? I want to know, do they still make ATX cases for adults?

Can you say "Kids who probably need Ritalin love those things"?

http://www.caseoutlet.com