[ale] OT: PostgreSQL vs MySQL

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 7 11:27:22 EST 2003

On Friday 07 February 2003 10:19 am, greg at turnstep.com wrote:
> > just curious to know which one is more popular?
>
> As someone stated, popularity is a horrible criteria. If it were
> in the least bit significant, we wouldn't be talking on this
> Linux list, as Windows is far more "popular." :)
>
> > I think MySQL is more popular based on its speed and the combination of
> > Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP (LAMP). PostgreSQL has more functionality,
> > but MySQL is catching up. The latest release of MySQL will now do
> > sub-selects and the last several releases will do transactions.
>
> "Latest release" as in the *alpha* version, 4.1 ?!?

For most projects, this status would worry me. But MySQL has been extremely
conservative in its release approach. I am currently using a 4.0 gamma
release and it has no problems. The 4.0 series has actually been production
ready since it was beta. But the MySQL developers take the most caurious
approach possible. How many projects have a "gamma" release?