[ale] GA Tech linux mirror

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Thu Feb 6 23:08:25 EST 2003

RedCarpet is a great idea, it just doesn't seem to be "enough." It would be
cool if they provided the flash and java plugins and ability to play DVD and
MP3 (like the RedHat 8.0 apt-get system) as well as security updates in a
very timely fashion (like 3 days after a new release). It is ultra easy to
use, and could serve as a backup and enhancement of up2date.

Unfortunately, it currently stops short on benefits.

Drew

On Thursday 06 February 2003 22:02, Jim wrote:
> On Thursday 06 February 2003 10:22 pm, Mike Still wrote:
> > Well.. I've used the ximian red-carpet program to just upgrade the
> > redhat packages before.  It has its own mirrors and you don't have to
> > install the entire ximian desktop to use red-carpet.
>
> I'll admit I haven't used Red Carpet in recent months, but the last time I
> tried it, it didn't handle dependencies well at all. If it ran into any
> complications in that area, it would just give up. And in some cases, it
> wanted to remove an unreasonable number of files before it would install
> the requested files. Once it insisted it had to remove my entire KDE
> installation! I passed on that one.

Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com