[ale] OT: Java application properties

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 6 14:46:40 EST 2003

Arafat Mohamed <amohamed at lallygag.net> writes:

> <snip>
> Joe wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> > Various Java documentation seems to imply that for a given
> > Java executable class MyClass, one can create a property
> > file with a magic name, such that the JVM will automatically
> > read that property file and add the properties therein to
> > the System properties, when MyClass's main() is invoked.
> > Is this true? If so, what is the required name and location
> > of the magic application property file? I'd expect it to
> > be something like "MyClass.properties", but I can't seem to
> > track down any solid documentation on this (which probably
> > means that it's in a totally obvious place I haven't thought
> > of looking yet...)
> </snip>
>
> http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/essential/attributes/properties.html

Yes, I read that earlier, but it doesn't definitively answer the
question, which is, "Is there a way I can name a property file so as
to have its contents *automatically* (with no code written by me) read
into the system properties at runtime?" Though it rather implies
(unlike a number of other sources) that the answer is "No". Which is
why I'm confused.

Thanks,

-- Joe