[ale] OT: Java application properties

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 6 11:20:31 EST 2003

Hi folks,

Various Java documentation seems to imply that for a given
Java executable class MyClass, one can create a property
file with a magic name, such that the JVM will automatically
read that property file and add the properties therein to
the System properties, when MyClass's main() is invoked.
Is this true? If so, what is the required name and location
of the magic application property file? I'd expect it to
be something like "MyClass.properties", but I can't seem to
track down any solid documentation on this (which probably
means that it's in a totally obvious place I haven't thought
of looking yet...)

Or do I have to manually load the property file and call
System.setProperties()?

The reason I think it can be handled automatically is that
some Java standard library elements, such as RMI/IIOP,
state that certain configuration values have to be
specified "on the command line (as system properties) or
in the application property file." The nature of the
"application property file" is what I'm confusled about.

Thanks,

-- Joe Knapka