[ale] DISPLAY DRIVER problem

Jonathan Glass (IBB) jonathan.glass at ibb.gatech.edu
Wed Feb 5 21:59:57 EST 2003

You've downloaded the NVIDIA kernel driver for kernel # 2.4.18-18.0, and
trying it install it on either 2.4.18-14 or 2.4.18-24.8.0 (different
patch levels of the kernel).  This probably won't work, as the rpm
install looks for the /lib/modules/2.4.18-18.8.0 directory, which
doesn't exist on your machine (WAG).

It looks like what is happening is the installer is dropping the
nvidia.o driver file in the
/lib/modules/2.4.18-18.8.0/kernel/drivers/video directory, and trying to
use modprobe to load it, but it is unable to find the driver b/c you are
running a different kernel.

Also, are you running an Athlon kernel, or i686? "uname -a".  Are you
sure you've downloaded the appropriate NVIDIA kernel driver for your
kernel?  It may be worth downloading the source RPM, rebuilding it, then
installing it.

I'll update my kernel on my work machine in the morning and see if I can
duplicate this error.

Remember, worse case scenario, you can do an "rpm -Uvh NVIDIA_*.rpm
--force" to force the installation.  I"ve done this more than once,
installing the NVIDIA kernel driver for each version of the kernel on a
given machine (research machine, no clue why they want 4 different
kernels).

If you have no luck with this, give me a call in the morning
(http://www.ibb.gatech.edu/administration.html for the number), and I'll
try to help you out with it.

Thanks

Jonathan