[ale] OT: Space Shuttle Columbia

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Wed Feb 5 17:23:33 EST 2003

I don't think it's all that surprising.  Plenty of knowledgeable people
are going to wonder the same things about the same problems.  Although
the answers to some of the questions seem to slam the door shut on those
particular lines of inquiry, there's still a reasonable "well, why the
heck not??" response to some of the answers.

Note the statement "NASA engineers scrutinized launch video and
determined there was nothing to be overly concerned about. They did not
know if heat tiles were missing."  Red flag.  Causality problem.  If
they did not KNOW if tiles were missing, then they did not KNOW how much
concern to have."  If debris investigation draws a conclusive line of
causality between 1) wing whacked by ET insulation 2) damage to tiles 3)
burn-through and subsequent loss of Orbiter on re-entry, then the
A-number-one screwup (given that nothing was done about chronically
shedding ET insulation) will lie right there in those statements.

Wasn't it PLAINLY visible in the Challenger tracking footage that one of
the SRBs was shooting flame out the side??  Wasn't one of the most "Gee,
if only..." aspects of the whole Challenger disaster "...someone had
seen the SRB burning through and told the Range Safety Officer to
abort?"

And, wasn't the SRB tongue of flame visible on an EARLIER flight?

Yet again, launch tracking imagery ignored; crew killed.  Actually, in
both cases, it's worse than that:  launch tracking imagery ignored and
imagery HISTORY forgotten; two crews killed

I'm hardly an insider, but I already know enough to know that launch
tracking imagery probably could have saved two crews IF 1) enough angles
were covered 2) the quality was sufficient 3) someone was paying
attention 4) mission abort decisions were based on the results.

I happen to know that imagery operations have at least one dedicated
NASA contractor or sub.