[ale] OT: Space Shuttle Columbia

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Wed Feb 5 10:54:34 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 10:35, tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:
> On 5 Feb 2003, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
>
> > > Weight. It takes plenty of fuel to orbit each pound (somebody around here
> > > will have the ratio to hand). So you don't carry an EVA suit so you can
> > > reach a higher altitude, or carry something else. There is a reason those
> > > blasted tiles are so fragile - and part of it is weight, or perhaps more
> > > accurately lack thereof.
> >
> > Hm, if I follow that logic, wouldn't they be able to leave behind one
> > main engine or an APU or two?
>
> Hmm. Leave behind a main engine and reduce the amount of thrust available
> to reach orbit. That doesn't sound right.

I think you missed my point.  My point is that the Shuttle has three
main engines but can make it to orbit on two.  The weight of a third
engine is deemed worth it in order to have a spare.  Same with the
APUs.  My point is that you fly the extra weight in order to give your
self options for the foreseeable as well as the unforeseeable.