[ale] newbie question: starting a program on login...

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Wed Feb 5 10:19:26 EST 2003

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 10:33:25PM -0500, Keith Morris wrote:
> Hi all...yet again, the eternal newbie...I have gotten gpilotd with
> pilot-link working to sync my handspring to evolution but gpilotd does
> not start automatically.  I would like to add this to my user login
> instead of a system-wide service so I was trying to figure out how to do
> it...is it in my bash profile, rc.local? where?

Are you using gnome?  If so, all you need to do is start gpilotd, then
save your gnome session.  Depending on what version of gnome you're
using, there is usually a menu item under Settings->Session->Save
Session, or similar.  Or you could just call save-session.

Alternatively, you could start the PilotSync applet in the
Panel->Utility menu.  This will put a little applet on your panel that
gives you various access to gpilotd.  Again, save the session, and it
will restart every time you start gnome.

If you're not using gnome then just put gpilotd in your .bash_profile.
The rc.local, and all the scripts in /etc/init.d, are system-wide
scripts.  You *could* use them to start a user process, but you also
*could* use a screwdriver to drive in a nail.  Neither is a very good
idea.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9