[ale] Bobness and Jonathanness (and some PHP)

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Feb 5 06:59:57 EST 2003

J.M. Taylor wrote:
> So how does one pursue Bob- or Jonathanness? :)
>
> I've been a security focused admin and coder for a couple of
> years...what's the next level?  Certification?  Education?  Annyoing
> questions lobbed at Bob and Jonathan for the rest of my career? ;)

That is a good question. How about some recommendations from Bob and
Jonathan?

Do we spend hours watching the output of tcpdump?  I've got a couple of
books I've used for study and research.  Would like feedback on them as
well, (from anyone..):

Real World Linux Security (1st and 2nd editions)
	- Bob Toxen, Prentice Hall :)
Maximum Linux Security - Anonymous, Sams
White Hat Security Arsenal - Rubin, Addison-Wesley
Building Internet Firewalls - (Zwicky, et al) O'Reilly
Firewalls and Internet Security, Cheswick, Bellovin, Addison-Wesley (old
by (1994) 'internet time standards' but quite interesting)
Linux Firewalls )1st and 2nd editions) - Ziegler, New Riders

I will say this, Bob's book is the most comprehensive book on
system/network protection of any I've seen.  It actually covers every
subject found in the other books I've noted in some way or another.

Point is, if you can't afford but one book, Bob's is the one to get.

(no I don't get anything from Bob for those statements, although I've
enjoyed the pizza he's provided at the ALE NW meetings... :) )

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...