[ale] OT: Space Shuttle Columbia

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Feb 5 00:12:41 EST 2003

On 4 Feb 2003, Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> Jim -
>
> I'm not quite following you.  I heard Dittemore say something to the
> effect that EVA is limited to the general area of the payload bay, which
> is not only untrue (witness the STS MMU flights, various Apollo
> missions, etc., going all the way back to Ed White and Alexei Leonov)
> but seemingly arbitrary in the case of the Orbiter.
>
> I am frankly shocked that the Orbiter would EVER go into space with no
> EVA suits.

<<snip>>

Weight. It takes plenty of fuel to orbit each pound (somebody around here
will have the ratio to hand). So you don't carry an EVA suit so you can
reach a higher altitude, or carry something else. There is a reason those
blasted tiles are so fragile - and part of it is weight, or perhaps more
accurately lack thereof.